Sunday, December 11

Capturing a live stream in Final Cut Pro

Here's an email I sent out a week or so ago. It seems like something that may be useful in the future for the rare situation where we will need to capture a stream in Final Cut Pro.

"Just wanted to make you all aware of a unique request we had on Saturday. Two users came in and wanted to use a studio to make a video of them playing an Xbox game (I'm assuming for a project or a review or something of that nature.) There were attempting to use Camtasia or Premiere in Studio 1 with no luck. I moved them to Studio 4 to see if iMovie or Final Cut Pro would be more helpful. I hooked the XBox into the RGB input on one of the decks, and things were going well until I realized that since the footage was streaming, it would not have a timecode. Final Cut really really wanted a timecode, so I had to do a few Google searches and found that I needed to switch Final Cut settings in the Log and Capture window to let Final Cut know this was what is called an "uncontrolled device." Saw the user today and he said he's working "amazingly". Just thought you'd like to know if you have a similar need to record a stream through Final Cut."

No comments:

Post a Comment