Thursday, March 14

Kinetic Typography

What is kinetic typography exactly? You may have seen it before but never knew it had an actual name, I know I sure didn't. Kinetic typography though is exactly what it sounds like, moving text. You may have seen them in television ads, or maybe even music videos where they use lyrics that are animated throughout the whole video? Well those music videos always fascinated me and I wondered, "How the @$#% (we are a family friendly blog and do not condone swearing) do you make those?"

So I did what any normal person would do... I googled it! Hundreds maybe even thousands of tutorials were available! So I started watching them, learning what programs I would need to try this out and start learning. It turns out that you can do all of this in Adobe After-Effects. I personally have never used that program before but I am a fan of Adobe products such as Photoshop.

I've seen some pretty amazing lyric videos and decided to start working on my own. It was very time consuming and I only got through about 20 seconds of the actual song! I have a feeling though it's only because I am a beginner, I'm sure someone who is more skilled could get a lot more done that I did. However, I was really fascinated by what I had created. Using a plug-in I found called "Sure-Target" I could change the inertia of the camera, what words were focused on at certain times, having the words appear at the time I wanted, and even giving the camera a wobble effect to make it more interesting. The camera started moving around to the different words of the song in sync with the music.

This can be used for so much more than music videos, such as ads, presentations, and whatever else you may think of! The SMDC offers the use of Adobe After-Effects on all of it's computers down in the basement. So come on down, rent out a hard drive, and try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment