Thursday, March 21

Steadicams

The Steadicam is a thing I only just became familiar with.  And by that I mean only just learned of its existence and purpose.  It's a cool piece of equipment and can do wonders to boost creativity in a production.  Watching some of the clips above makes me jealous of the chances present in movie production and the vision of filmmakers.

Sadly, I've never worked with one, and I really want to.  Sometimes when you're perfecting the vision of your video in your mind, there's times when a Steadicam is the only thing that can get the job done and half the time, you don't even realize that that's the equipment you need.

To the best of my knowledge the library doesn't currently have one.  On the record, I'd like to suggest that we get one or two.  I don't know how complicated they are, but I'll volunteer right here to become the resident authority on them, provided we don't already accidentally have one.

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone Dillon in wanting that smooth, natural camera movement. I have experimented with a variety of systems, and have found that with Steadicams you get what you pay for. I have tried a couple Steadicams under $100 and they do NOT work as advertised. I had the opportunity once to try a professional Steadicam ($3000) and it worked beautifully, but was the quite ordeal to put on and get adjusted. Another thing to mention is that in the video you embedded, many of those shots are not Steadicam shots, but rather Dolly and Crane shots! The Center has a tripod dolly for users to try out. I personally have a homemade track dolly made of wood, skateboard wheels, and pvc pipe. If anyone is interested I would be happy to loan it out for your project. As far as the Center getting a Steadicam to loan out, we would NEED to test before buying, because like I said the affordable ones do not really work in my experience.

    ReplyDelete