Tuesday, April 30

Cleaning up Audio

One thing that I'm always on the lookout for is audio quality.  It can add (or detract, depending on how well you do it) a great level of professionalism to a video if you take the time to mess with the audio settings. I'll be speaking more toward Final Cut Pro for now, but I'm working with Premier more, so I'm sure there's more to come on that.

Final Cut Pro has a great simple function to reduce background noise.  Highlight the audio sample you want and click the arrow next to audio analysis.  There's a slider that can change how much of it is cut out and a hum removal button for electrical or ambient hums.  Quick tip, I've found that 100% reduction is nearly as bad as no reduction.  It adds a sort of tinny sounding element to the video and makes dialog sound robotic.  Somewhere between 50 and 70% seems to be working fine for me.  And the more experienced among us can mess with the equalizer if they feel up to it.

Speaking of audio changes, Final Cut also has audio filters, and a surprising amount at that.  Putting some of those on a clip can help with voiceovers and the like.  I just used a radio effect on some music that was in my video and it worked out perfectly.

Apple's website isn't great on the technical aspect of using everything but it does a good job of laying out the features.  Besides, trial and error is the best teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment