Friday, May 17

Images of microforms captured with iPhone

Awhile ago someone in the Microforms room was taking photos of images on the screen of a reader/printer, instead of printing or scanning. I thought it odd but it was what worked for that user. Earlier this week, I was helping someone scanning an article about an old Wilmington neighborhood with a photo of a big house. She wasn't very satisfied with the images produced with scanning. Getting photos to scan or print well from microfilm can be challenging. Often the image on the photo is not great quality to begin with, and sometimes scans or prints don't bring out the subtleties that are there. After trying several settings, including the grayscale setting on #7, it occurred to me to suggest taking a photo with her phone (looked like an iPhone). She did so and seemed happy to also have that in addition to her other scans. The photo on the phone looked a little greenish as the screen has a light green hue, but it seemed to capture some of the subtlety she was looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know. I wouldn't have guessed that the phone camera would have enough dynamic range to get a subtle image of a bright screen. I've heard from many sources that the camera on the newer iPhones is quite good, but I've never tried one myself.

    ReplyDelete