Saturday, October 6

Choosing a Font? How?

One of the hardest parts of doing any graphic design, especially for those of us that aren't well versed, is choosing fonts to apply to our work. Even if you can come up with a good font, how do you actually learn from your choice? How will you figure out a good one next time? Enter Smashing Magazine's article: “What Font Should I Use?”: Five Principles for Choosing and Using Typefaces. Dan Mayer steps through the basics, from the different overarching styles to finding ways of combining the different styles and maintaining a cohesive look. It's made a huge impact on how I do my designs, and will hopefully be a great asset to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Alan, this article will be such a useful resource for me. While I suspected some of these principles, it is much more helpful to really know them and apply them accordingly. Thanks for sharing! His comparison of the Geometric and Humanist typefaces was witty and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete