Friday, November 30

Windows 8 first impression

Over Thanksgiving break I got my first look at Windows 8. It's been out since October 26th, but I didn't really pay mind to the OS update until I visited the Windows Store at the Christiana Mall. Windows 8 seemed fitting for the tablet/laptop hybrids featured in the store, with a distinct new interface that the user could customize. However, on my new PC (Black Friday woop),  I found the interface a little strange. I had to enter the "Desktop app" in order to access the Control Panel, and not may programs showed up on the desktop. My guess is that the new OS is geared toward use with touch-based devices and syncing different devices together. However, I'm still optimistic about the benefits of a long-needed update when I return home for winter break. Has anyone else tried out Windows 8, and if so what are your thoughts on it?

1 comment:

  1. Ha, good timing. I had a user come to the desk just this morning, asking that we please install Windows on her laptop. I was curious what she meant, so we booted up her *brand-new* laptop, and Windows 8 was installed. She did not recognize it as Windows (understandably). I am guessing we are about to get a lot more questions about Windows 8 after the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete