Friday, February 27

The Players' Tribune

Hey everyone,

For my blog post this month I just wanted to share a cool website I came across recently, The Players' Tribune. It's a relatively new sports multimedia venture started and ran by none other than Derek Jeter. Although I’ll be the first to admit that I am the not a Derek Jeter fan (at all), I think this is a pretty great next step for a newly-retired superstar athlete. The site is a place for both up-and-coming and big-time athletes from all sports to share their own personal stories and sometimes even break news to the public in a longer and more personal way than a 140-character tweet. Contributors to the website already include names like Kobe Bryant and Russell Wilson. Jeter talked in depth about the hurdles he has faced launching his own multimedia company in this TechCrunch interview.

There are plenty of critics of The Tribune as well, taking the side that this is just another outlet for athletes to feign authenticity and the ability to relate to the general public. Whether this multimedia venture is just another venue for fans to glorify these superstar athletes or not, I definitely find it entertaining and at least somewhat unique. With a very aesthetically pleasing website, I don’t think anyone can deny that it’s at least pleasing to the eyes and fun to look at, if nothing else.

Also, here is my favorite example of an awesome article that The Players' Tribune has produced so far, in which Larry Sanders explains why he chose to retire from the NBA recently at the age of 26. The article also includes a five minute video of Sanders just talking to the camera about his thought process.

No comments:

Post a Comment