Sunday, March 8

Changing the Sound Output in Sibelius 7.5

    Hello again everyone! I hope you are all having a beautiful time in this so-much-better-than-last-week weather.

    Tuesday marked an interesting day for me as I was trying to assist a patron in getting sound to come through the speakers located in studio three. For some reason it was only coming out of the computer's actual speakers, and as any of us would suspect, I thought it was because the program this patron was using had its sound set to go through the wrong output. In the long run, I was right, but man oh man was it a long run.

    To give you guys some background the program this particular patron was using was Sibelius 7.5, a program I had never heard of before. It is, according to its website, "The fastest, smartest, easiest way to write and share music"...

    As long as you don't have to change any outputs, but that's besides the point.

    So I'm trying to find where I can reset the audio output, going to the program's preferences (the system preferences were fine, a YouTube video played back through the correct speakers. I'd also checked the cart to see if it was set to computer, all those little things), which brought up a nice long list, none of which were the outputs. There was a tab called "playback" but that had nothing to do with anything speaker related.

    That is when I left the studio and Googled what to do, which brought me to this page on Sibelius' actual website. I brought this information to the patron and still couldn't figure it out. Why? Because the information on this page is for versions below what we have on our computers (7.5). There is no "playback devices" under the tab play, at least, not one prominently marked. They have consolidated it into a small button (seen below).
I found this picture on this page on Sibelius' own website, again, after much digging (if you click the drop down arrow for step 3 and then right click on (Where?) and tell it to open in a new tab, there it is, the majestic unicorn of Sibelius buttons) as well as after I had already helped the patron.
After you have navigated to this button and clicked it, you have to click on the button Audio Engine Options at the bottom left of the window.
^Right there                                        
And you'll finally find something familiar, a box that allows you to change the outputs!

    So there it is fellow workers, a record of how to change the audio output in Sibelius 7.5, hope it helps! Also, if your interest is piqued by the program itself, I found this old post about Sibelius on our very own blog. Happy perusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment