Tuesday, March 18

The Most Irritating Thing Imaginable (The F11 key)


I experienced a debilitating problem when I was working at the desk this evening. Minor, mundane, accidental, yes. But rarely have I been so irked by such a small thing.

Many of you may have experienced this in your travels. If you have been working at the main desk and you pushed the keyboard in rapidly, say, when you were scooting forward to help a user, you might have accidentally caused this.

When the keyboard moves forward rapidly sometimes the F11 key is pressed down. I did that. In my eagerness to help a user, I moved forward too quickly. The F11 row of keys at the top made brutal contact with the desk. When I had finished helping the user and returned to my browsing activities I found that the tool bars at the top and the bottom of the screen had disappeared. So I was just like:



Without any knowledge of what I had done, or what key had been pressed, my heart rate quickened in anger; the tide of my wrath threatened to boil forth, overwhelming everything it came in contact with. I still had enough self control to ask my colleagues how to solve the problem. Trey failed me; claiming ignorance was a clever ruse to leave me to the wolves. Nadine, however, did not abandon me in my hour of need.

She told me to mouse over the top of the screen, hit minimize on the browser window, then maximize. The rest, as they say, is history. So I was just like:


Later that evening I inquired from Diana as to the true origination of this miserable episode; F11 put the browser window into full screen mode. A simple second press of the F11 key would have solved the problem but the more circuitous route that Nadine provided (for she did not know the origination of the issue) was the true path to my salvation.

Beware the F11 key my friends! Beware the keyboard that hits upon yonder desk! I present this, a warning, from your humble servant.


No comments:

Post a Comment