Monday, September 17

Rise of the 3-D Printers

The library has numerous printers, but none like the 3-D printer which can create physical objects. After reading the article "3-D printing: the shape of things to come" I was mind blown by this new technology. I've been printing on paper throughout my life and here comes a new device that can duplicate models from the computer into real life objects. This makes me wish I was a kid again because then I could simply print off any action figure that I wanted. The article asserts that " Hod Lipson, director of Cornell University's Creative Machines Lab states their focus is on electric wires, batteries and motors", which could be very helpful to the SMDC. If we ever needed more batteries for cameras or wires for students to borrow they could simply print out more. Even though the price for one of these new printers is steep I think the benefits outweigh the costs. 

If you could afford a 3-D printer would you buy one?  I definitely would.


No comments:

Post a Comment