Wednesday, September 5

Create Custom Fonts with FontStruct

The idea of creating a custom font has always excited--and eluded--me. Last semester, I posted about how to do this very thing with Inkscape. Surely, I thought, a detailed video tutorial for a free, easy-to-use program should have been enough to finally set me on my typographic quest.

Oh, but how I have forsaken the path.

Maybe FontStruct can help me along. It's a free, web-based, modular font-builder (whew!) that exports your character-set in TrueType format for cross-platform use. At the very least, it's fun to experiment with. Judging by the gallery, it is quite capable of creating some unique and useful fonts. Give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really awesome! I can never choose a font so I'm glad i know I can just create my own now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty cool! I checked out the gallery and was not surprised to find examples of people really stretching the limits of this builder. Even with a limited amount of shape stamps available, you can get really creative. I remember seeing similar things happening with the "Skate" custom board art creator for the Xbox skating game.

    It seems like a certain creative community really likes using a system of restraints and regulated allocations to create works beyond expectation.

    ReplyDelete