Saturday, October 25

Alternative Ways to Code Without Dreamweaver

Here at the SMDC, all the computers have Adobe's Dreamweaver installed. This is one of the most popular applications for creating HTML and CSS files since Dreamweaver offers features such as auto completion and allowing the user the view the website as it's coded, but many users may find these features unnecessary.

For a lightweight coding application, I prefer Notepad++. Notepad++ offers a simple interface similar to the Notepad application installed with Windows, but offers more features and the possibility to install plugins. I also like Notepad++ because it's both free and portable, meaning I can download Notepad++ as a .zip file, extract it to my flash drive, and take it with me anywhere I go. This is especially useful when I'm not able to use a PC with Dreamweaver. Notepad++ is constantly improving and comes packaged with instructions on how to make coding faster and easier through Notepad++.

Sublime Text is a similar application that is available to Windows, OS X, and Linux users. For useful shortcuts and ways to configure Sublime Text, you can take a look at the documentation available here. Happy coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment