Saturday, October 4

The Magic of Studio 5

    Here in the Multimedia Design Center, we are lucky enough to have a Centiq Studio (Studio 5) which houses one of the coolest inventions for anyone who is interested in art in any way-  the Wacom Cintiq 24HD Graphics Tablet.
    As a Fine Art Major, I was initially very skeptical about the idea of painting on a computer. How would you be able to get the texture of layered paint? Could the layering of "paint" on Photoshop really mimic the complex layering of color with acrylic, oils or pastels that deceives the eye in real life? How can you control the amount of paint, the brush techniques, or the sense of movement that one is able to get when painting by hand?
    I am not going to lie- I was DEFINITELY impressed after using the Wacom Tablet. This huge drawing tablet comes with a pen that one can check out at the main desk. This pen is one smart piece of technology when paired with the tablet. It is able to identify just how much pressure your hand is putting on the tablet, and releases the "paint" accordingly. You have the ability to change your brush in Photoshop- anything from feathered, round, point, flat, or bright- the list goes on! When combining the pressure-sensitive feature on the pen with the ability to change the brush, realistic and textured painting results.


    This was the result of my experience with the Wacom Tablet. I strongly recommend anyone who has an interest in art to come and try out Studio 5. I travel a lot, and while I would love to sometimes just sit and paint my surroundings, carrying around 20 lbs of oil paints and brushes is not always an option, particularly on trips that require flights. However, if I bring my computer equipped with Photoshop and a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet (also available in the Multimedia Design Center), then I can paint anywhere. Digital painting is a very different experience than painting by hand, but both have their merits and produce amazing results!

No comments:

Post a Comment