Wednesday, October 1

Online Faxing

Recently I had a student who needed to send a fax, and although I wasn't sure how to help her at first, I learned that faxing is actually rather simple. I thought I would pass along the steps for any other new (or experienced) student assistant who is also unaware of the procedure.

While the SMDC does not have an actual fax machine, you can scan in a document to either the flat bed EPSON scanners, or copy scanner #7. (The new scanner stations won't work for this because they are not directly connected to the internet.) Once your file is scanned in and saved onto a computer (PDFs are easiest), you will be able to send it through an online faxing service. Starting at the SMDC's public website, you must click "Print, Copy, Scan." Once on the Print, Copy, Scan page, select the "Scanning" tab. Here, you can find links to two different online faxing services, FaxZero, and MyFax.

I would HIGHLY suggest using MyFax instead of FaxZero. As the student I was helping and I discovered quickly, FaxZero is a cluttered webpage full of advertisements. The immediate feature of the page is an article explaining how to use the page. A well designed user interface should not have to include an article explaining how to use it! On the other end of the spectrum, when you enter the MyFax website, you are greeted with clear entry areas labeled TO, FROM, and UPLOAD. Very simple! Everything you need is easy to use, and not cluttered by ads.

I hope this helps anyone who may come across the need for a fax machine in the future. You can access MyFax from any computer, so not only are you able to fax from the SMDC, you can fax from anywhere your heart desires.




No comments:

Post a Comment